Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mitt Romney: "I'm a moderate... progressive"


"I think people recognize that I'm not a partisan Republican, that I'm someone who is moderate, and my views are progressive... I'm going to go to work for people who have been left behind." -- Romney in 2002.

Indeed, Romney currently positions himself as a "moderate" Republican who can be relied on not to "frighten" the voters. This is not leadership. What bothers me most about the Romney quote is the liberal idea that people are helpless passives who are merely acted upon by society. Laggards are not responsible for their position in life, they have been "left behind." This view does not see America as the "land of opportunity" where everyone has a chance to pursue and achieve happiness. Those of us who choose to embrace the pursuit of happiness coldly "leave others behind" and should feel guilty for doing so.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to the hand...